These two fair-trade ingredients are a match made in heaven. Sue Lawrence’s recipe combines sweet chocolate with tart lemons for a delicious desert.
175g plain flour
25g tablespoons cocoa powder
25g golden icing sugar
125g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1 large free range egg yolk
For the filling
70g dark chocolate
3 lemons, preferably unwaxed
4 large free range eggs, beaten
150ml golden caster sugar
150ml double cream
Golden icing sugar, to decorate
* Butter a 23cm fluted spring form flan tin. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and icing sugar into a food processor with a pinch of salt. Add the butter and process briefly until blended, or rub in the mixture by hand. Mix the egg yolk and two tablespoons of cold water and slowly add through the feeder, or add while stirring. Gather into a ball, wrap in Clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
* Roll out the pastry to fit the prepared tin, and prick the base with a fork several times. Chill for at least two hours, preferably overnight.
* Preheat the oven to 200C/400C/gas mark 6. Fill the pastry case with foil and baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and continue to cook for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven. Reduce the temperature to 170C/325F/Gas mark 3.
* While the pastry is hot, scatter the grated chocolate over the base. Leave to cool slightly.
* Grate the lemons zest into a bowl, and then squeeze and strain the juice into a bowl. Add the beaten eggs, sugar and cream, and beat until thoroughly combined. Pout this mixture into the pastry case , and place in the oven, taking care that the filling does not spill.
* Bake for 30-35 minutes until the filling is just set. Cool completely before sifting over a thin layer of icing sugar.